Lighting Retrofits: How to get the best of energy efficient lighting

December 22, 2017 | Alexandra Degala

Every company wants to be energy efficient. What better way to make a significant impact than by targeting areas that take up a massive part of the company’s energy consumption? On average, lighting takes up 30% of the monthly energy usage of most businesses.

Low energy lighting has become the norm. Lighting retrofits have saved companies thousands of dollars. Product performance has greatly improved. Of all the available products in the market, LED takes the lead in terms of performance and flexibility.

What is LED?

LED stands for “Light Emitting Diode.” It is a semiconductor that emits a monochromatic light when electricity passes through it. They are very bright, and they come in different colors. Some of their other common uses are in electronics, particularly in watches, cellphone displays, TVs and more.

Why choose LED?

More and more companies are turning to LED when replacing their old bulbs. LED has become increasingly popular in the last two years despite being the newest player in the market. Why? What makes LED different?

LEDs are a tad bit expensive compared to halogen bulbs, BUT it offers several long-term advantages that outweigh the price difference. Here are the most common reasons why businesses are shifting from halogen bulbs to LEDs.

  • They are VERY efficient. When we say lighting efficiency we mean the amount of energy being converted into light. The traditional halogen bulbs can turn only 20% of its energy utilization into light, and the other 80% is utilized for heat production. LEDs convert 80-90% of electric energy into light, and only 10-20% is wasted. This brings us to our next point: getting more for less.

  • You get more for less. No, I don’t mean the price. As mentioned, LED is a little more expensive compared to other bulbs in the market. What we are referring to here is wattage. A 5-watt LED bulb can easily replace a 30-watt CFL bulb. You get the same amount and level of lighting for less energy usage. Sure, you have to shell out a little more when you purchase the bulbs, but you get to save thousands of dollars every month on your electric bill. That’s several years of energy savings.

  • They last longer. LED bulbs have a longer lifespan compared to their halogen counterparts. LEDs can last up to 11 years when used continuously for 24 hours. They can last up to more than 25 years if used only during specific times of the day.  Halogens, on the other hand, can last only up to 2-5 years before needing an upgrade.

  • They are more flexible.  LED bulbs can be dimmed, controlled and further optimized! LED bulbs can be installed with dimmers so that you can control your lighting. They also come in different colors which you can use for decorative purposes.

  • Going LED is the newest trend in lighting. The development in product performance has stepped up when they came into the picture. LED is more than just a fad. It has excellent efficiency, it brings in more savings and adopting LED lighting is an environmentally-conscious move.

At WeCompete Energy we strive to give our clients the best solutions. We ensure that the services we offer maximize consumption reduces costs and eliminates wastage. Let us drive your energy expenditures 10-20% lower! Talk to us at (844) 937-7727 or send us a message at contact@wecompeteenergy.com.